Cannabis butter, also known as cannabutter is widely used in recipes for baking and cooking. Before you start this, make sure to decarboxylate your weed. If you haven’t yet and would like to know how, follow this link. Alternatively, you can skip the decarb process but your cook time will be exponentially longer (about double the time).
What you need:
- 1lb of butter
- 1oz decarbed weed
- Slow Cooker
- Water (optional)
I personally love using a slow cooker as you don’t need to keep such a close eye on it. Set it and forget it.
- Set your slow cooker to low (around 160°F). Temperature is key as too high of a temperature will degrade the cannabinoids.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Some people add water at this stage because they feel like it can collect impurities (you will discard it later).
- Cook for at least 3 hours and then let cool.
- Place cheesecloth or a fine strainer on top of a jar and slowly pour the cooled butter.
- Use a spatula (or your hands) to squeeze the butter through the cheesecloth/strainer.
- Place in the fridge to solidify. After solidified, separate the impurities/water from the cannabis butter.
- Substitute your cannabutter for regular butter or other fat in your favourite recipes.
From here you can add butter to brownies, cookies, even savoury dishes! The possibilities are endless.